Every year over 20,000 people go to the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your family safe, McElroy Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and swap out the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a minimum of three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like porcelain tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, buy a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a cooking range to heat your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally examined and cleaned yearly.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, McElroy Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to be sure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 308-210-4398 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.