When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At McElroy Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call McElroy Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Grand Island, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Grand Island or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with McElroy Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.