When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At McElroy Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call McElroy Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Grand Island, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in Grand Island or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 308-210-4398 or schedule an appointment with McElroy Service Experts through our online scheduler.