Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is running? There’s a strong probability there’s something wrong with your unit. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—troubles eventually. We’re going to help you figure out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling normally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can’t identify where the noise is coming from, that’s alright. An expert can help determine where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is probably an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can come from a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A clear noise from your external unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about frequent air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Usually, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there’s a problem with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s better to get problems corrected right away. Calling a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
How to Pick Out a Suitable HVAC System
In terms of keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and general home efficiency. But, with so many system types, sizes and... Continue reading
Annual HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air turns chilly, you know it’s time to winterize your residence for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is key to maintaining a cozy, warm environment. A well-maintained furnace delivers the comfort you desire while using less energy. Regular inspections also make your... Continue reading
2024 Furnace and Air Conditioning Trends
In the ever-evolving world of home HVAC, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is crucial for homeowners seeking to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Going into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing cutting-edge technologies and trends aimed at changing how... Continue reading