Cooler months in Grand Island are here. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the peak of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace may release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to keep it from taking place.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to release carbon monoxide if the system is not working as it should be or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any possible issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other suspicious things that could compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its top efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at McElroy Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 308-210-4398 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.